The Daily Herald repots that the Brothers of the Anglican Church held a fundraising barbeque food sale Friday for the restoration of the roof of Anglican Christ Church in The Bottom. Island Council member of Brothers of the Anglican Church with Island Councilman Eviton Heyliger (centre) during the church’s fundraising barbeque.
Windward Islands People’s Movement (WIPM) Eviton Heyliger was among the volunteers braving the day’s heat, grilling under the tent at the parking lot next to the church. The Anglican Church’s presence in Saba is a remnant of the English occupation of the island in 1665, and from 1672 to 1679. The Anglican Church parish in The Valley, only later named The Bottom, seems to have been established in 1777, when Reverend Kirkpatrick
requested permission of Commander Johannes De Graaff of St. Eustatius to officially establish an Anglican Church and parish on the island.
Saba’s Presbyterian Church members are believed to have joined the Anglican Christ Church upon the building’s completion. While it is known that the present building was restored in 1777, after a hurricane destroyed it in 1772, the actual date of the building’s original construction is unknown. It appears to be the oldest building on the island.
Although it is nice that some people appear to care for cultural heritage, it is a shame that the Island government did not implement the monuments ordinance, did not make a list of monuments to be protected etc. Not just the government but also the WIPM party and the Island Council is to be blamed for that. The Dutch National Restauration fund made available loans at 2% rent to be reimbursed in 20 years up to an amount of 1,25 million Euros. All this money is likely to disappear and to go to other islands because of the incompetency of the Island government. Definitely this church should have had the opportunity to make use of the money available for monuments on Saba.